Rose McClelland shares her top tips about single life.

How often do we read about the single life being celebrated? Generally in books and movies, how often are we bombarded with the romantic goal of meeting the perfect man and having 2.4 children? Friends on Facebook are quick to post news of a new relationship or an engagement or a wedding day. But how often do we celebrate our single life?

Many of us watched Sex & the City and the hilarious adventures of the four glamorous characters. I love that scene in SATC where Carrie leaves a voicemail message for her friend, informing her that she’s getting married to herself. She registers a pair of Manolos in her wish list. How funny if there was a tradition to hold a single party each year rather than a wedding anniversary.

When the Chicklit Club kindly agreed to guest me on their blog, they asked me “What are the top tips about single life?” This is exactly the question my character Sasha asks herself in my novel The Year of No Rules. So here are some tips about embracing the single life.

Now is the time to do your own thing

Think about it. Somewhere down the line there will be a stage when a husband and kids will be needing your undivided time and attention. Whilst that will be lovely, you might look back and wish you had enjoyed your single time more.

For example, if you want to have an entire evening of pampering bubble bath and an early night, you can. Alternatively, if you fancy a late night of clubbing followed by an entire lazy day surfing the sofa, it’s your choice.

Oftentimes I think we are so bombarded by the peer pressure to be in a relationship that we forget to enjoy the freedom and independence under our very feet.

Now is the stage in our lives when we have all the time in the world to do the things we’ve always wanted to do. Perhaps we’d like to take a creative writing course at the local college or use our well-earned cash to sign up for a personal trainer at the gym.

Your money is your own

Speaking of well-earned cash – that’s another thing we can enjoy – spending our money on ourselves. I don’t know about you, but I have spent a complete fortune on boyfriends in the past. How lovely to have your cash available to do what you like with it!

Being independent makes you more attractive

In my novel The Year of No Rules, Sasha’s character evolves throughout the book from a needy woman who would do anything to please her man to a woman who loves being single so much that men find it difficult to pin her down! Interestingly, the less she wants a man, the more they come running!

Has there been a time in your life when you were single and loved it? Perhaps it was when you were on holiday with the girls and enjoyed each day just soaking up the sun and every evening sipping the cocktails and enjoying a boogie?

My favourite single time was at university. I had all my friends around me, we were out at least 3 nights a week, I was writing theatre reviews for the student newspaper and getting to see lots of plays. I was having too good a time to think about a guy!

As a chick-lit writer, it might seem strange that I despair of the “and then she got her man and it all worked happy ever after” endings. But I love to read about independent females who are completely happy in their own skin. Girl power!

I hope you enjoy reading about the adventures Sasha has in The Year of No Rules as she embraces her single life. Does her ex-boyfriend come crawling back? And what happens when one man in particular tries to pin her down?

When Sasha falls in love with Kirk, she can’t believe her luck. He’s gorgeous, charismatic and charming. Within months he’s even discussing the ‘M’ word – marriage.

But there’s one problem – he’s given her a list of rules to sign. Blindly led by her infatuation (and the fact that she’s been single forever) – she agrees to sign it and abide by them until everything goes horribly wrong.

Picking herself up and boldly moving on as a ‘No Rules’ girl, Sasha goes on a string of disastrous dates, and eventually meets Sam through mutual friends. Not wanting to make the same mistake twice, she keeps him at arm’s length.

Can he tame her independent streak? Or will she be able to make Kirk come crawling back?

Rose McClelland writes women’s fiction with a splash of romance and comedy. She writes about dating and relationships in a humorous fashion, placing plenty of twists and turns along the way. Perfect for fans of Marian Keyes or Sophie Kinsella. Rose lives in Belfast but divides her time between the sofa and bubble bath. When she’s not writing, she’s reading. She can often be found on Facebook posting photos and stories about her cat, her cooking or book reviews. She has written a few short plays and finds it a buzz to see actors performing her words on stage.

rosiesrag.blogspot.com